Learn the Basics
Software Testing Help – A software testing blog with in-depth tutorials on manual and automation testing.
Guru99 – A good learning resource with lots of free tutorial.
Tutorial Point – This site presents an opportunity to learn Software Testing starting from basic to advanced concepts.
Go beyond the Basics:
OnTestAutomation – A blog by Bas Dijkstra who believes that Test automation is a craft and he loves to share what he has done, seen, heard and otherwise learned.
Joe Colantonio – Discover Automation testing awesomeness.
TesterStories.com – Stories from a Software Tester (Jeff Nyman)
Saucelabs – Checkout great resources & blog from Saucelabs
SeleniumFramework – A great website to learn about Automation Technologies.
You’ll find great articles about BDD on https://ideas.riverglide.com/
Practice Environments (Free online code editors)
- Dabblet: An interactive An interactive CSS playground and code sharing tool. Dabblet saves to Github gists and offers many conveniences for CSS editing.
- CodePen: CodePen is a social development environment for front-end designers and developers.
Sample Sites to Practice Your Automation Skills
These sites provides you with sample projects to practice your automation skills
- http://the-internet.herokuapp.com/ – Lots of practice pages with different type of page elements.
- onlinestore.toolsqa.com – Ecommerce website specially built up for Automation testers, See product details & product listings, place free orders and receive emails confirmation. This is a responsive website so mobile automation is also possible.
- Parking Calculator Widget – http://adam.goucher.ca/parkcalc/
- Brown & Donaldson (B&D) online brokerage Web site – http://bdonline.sqe.com/
- The Mercury Tours Web Site – http://newtours.demoaut.com/
You should never run automated tests against any public website without getting permission otherwise you can come into trouble.
See Joe Strazzere’s post on Stackexchange about not using Selenium on public websites without authorization.
Practice Programming/Automation Skills:
FreeCodeCamp – A friendly open source community where you learn to code and help nonprofits.
Udemy – Great resource to learn programming, software testing and a lot more.
Lynda – A great resource to learn programming and a lot more.
Some must see slide share presentations:
Java: A Beginner’s Guide by Herbert Schildt
Selenium Testing Tools Cookbook by Unmesh Gundecha
BDD in Action by John Ferguson Smart
Cucumber Cookbook by Shankar Garg, Packt Publishing
Automate the boring Stuff with Python by Al Sweigart
Clean Code by Robert Cecil Martin
Agile Principles, Patterns & Practices by Robert Martin
https://github.com/shs96c (Simon Stewart – Creator of Selenium WebDriver)
https://github.com/RiverGlide/serenity-web-todomvc-journey (Serenity Journey Pattern Demo)
https://github.com/jan-molak (Jan Molak)
https://github.com/wakaleo (John Ferguson Smart who is well known for book ‘BDD in Action’ and tool ‘Serenity’)
Showcase your automation skills by designing automation framework. Consider implementing a framework that is domain/project independent. Show a decent solution with clean code, page objects/data factory/ screenplay pattern using data-driven examples
When designing your framework or writing any code keep these principles in mind:
- DRY (Don’t Repeat Yourself ) or DIE(Duplication is Evil.)
- KISS (an acronym for the design principle “Keep it simple, Stupid!”.)
- SOLID – SOLID is an acronym that encapsulates five good object-oriented programming principles:
Single Responsibility Principle
Open Closed Principle
Liskov Substitution Principle
Interface Segregation Principle
Dependency Inversion Principle
These resources are very helpful in understanding and setting up test automation framework:
Check out Robot Framework. It has detailed documentation and also has a repo in github
Checkout below this link from SatckExchane:
Names you must know being an Automation Professional:
John Smart – Keynote speaker, technology futurist, foresight strategist, consultant, author on tech trends, future predictions, scientific, digital & business advances.
Simon Stewart – Creator of Selenium WebDriver as well as a core Selenium 2 developer.
Martin Fowler – Object-oriented programming expert and consultant, one of the leaders in refactoring, author of the book ‘Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code’
Antony Marcano – Antony Marcano is a consultant in software craftsmanship, effective software processes, software quality and software testing.
Joe Colantonio You can discover automation testing awesomeness by reading great articles on Joe Colantonio blog.
Some must read articles for test automation professionals:
Page Object Model:
My Selenium tests aren’t stable
Single Responsibility Principle: